Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Repeatedly Showing The Mother Of All Misses

Most soccer fans will have seen by now Scotland debutant Chris Iwelumo's notorious miss against Norway in Glasgow Saturday, when the striker fluffed a chance from two yards out with nobody to beat six minutes after coming into the 0-0 game as a substitute. Suffering fans in the stadium were not spared either. Despite having seen the blunder live, they were subject to a repeated replay on the stadium's giant screen.

But Iwelumo, 30, was sanguine about the miss. "There's nothing to be embarrassed about," he said. "I am a striker. I like to score goals, but missed a chance. I can't say more than that. I'll go away, look at it, analyze it, come back and show you I can score goals. In hindsight, I should have swung my left foot at it. On another day, it's in the net and another story."